What to Do After a Fire in Your Beloit Home
If a fire occurs in your home, it is important to know what to do. Immediately call 911, contact your insurance company and hire a professional fire restoration company such as SERVPRO of West Mahoning County. After the fire has subsided, there are steps you can take to gain control of the situation once again, and to get your home back.
What to Check When You Visit Your Fire Damaged Home
According to RedCross.org, here are the steps you can take after a fire takes place:
- Check the outside of your home before you enter. Look for loose power lines, broken or damaged gas lines, foundation cracks, missing support beams or other damage. Damage on the outside can indicate a serious problem inside. Ask a building inspector or contractor to check the structure before you enter.
- If the door is jammed, do not force it open – it may be providing support to the rest of your home. Find another way to get inside.
- Sniff for gas. If you detect natural or propane gas, or hear a hissing noise, leave the property immediately and get well away from it.
- Beware of animals, such as rodents, snakes, spiders, and insects, that may have entered your home.
- Is your ceiling sagging? That means it got wet – which makes it heavy and dangerous. It will have to be replaced, so you can try to knock it down. Be careful: wear eye protection and a hard hat, use a long stick, and stand away from the damaged area.
For more information on how SERVPRO of West Mahoning County can help you after a disaster or if you have any questions at all, call us at (330) 393-9999 or visit our Website! We are always Here to Help!