Summer Grilling Safety Tips for Austintown Residents
Summer grilling season is in full swing! July is the peak month for grill fires which can cause burn injuries and damages to your home. A grill placed too close to anything that can burn can be a fire hazard.
Here are some quick safety tips to remember:
- The grill should only be used outdoors at a safe distance away from any deck railings, roofs, and low tree branches.
- Never leave your grill unattended and always make sure to keep pets and children at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Prior to lighting the grill, make sure the lid to your gas grill is open. This prevents gas from building up inside and causing a fire.
- After grilling, clean the grates by removing any grease or fat buildup.
There are several ways to get a charcoal grill ready for use. If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add any other flammable liquids or materials to the fire. Another option is to use a charcoal chimney starter which allows you to use newspaper as a fuel.
Prior to using a propane or gas grill, check the gas tank hose for leaks. The soapy water leak test allows you to quickly check for leaks. This short video shows how to perform the soapy water leak test. If you see bubbles, you know you have a leak.
If you smell gas at any time while cooking, immediately move away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not try to move the grill.
Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to clean a gas or charcoal grill to ensure your grill is safe and ready for the grilling season.
Stay safe this summer while grilling in Austintown! If you experience fire, smoke, or soot damage call SERVPRO of West Mahoning County. Call (330) 609 8543 today for immediate help!
Follow us on Facebook for more tips and information!